WHY DO MY ARMPITS SMELL? WELL, THEY DON’T HAVE TO …
We’ve all had a moment when we’ve got a whiff of bad B.O. – when opening the door to the gym changing room or standing next to someone who has an interesting idea of what ‘personal space’ is. But what happens when you secretly sniff your armpit and realise it’s your B.O.?
Body odour is perfectly natural, but that doesn’t make it smell any better. Wondering why your armpits smell or how to stop your armpits from sweating? Just keep reading.
WHY DO MY ARMPITS SMELL?
Simple: because of sweat. Well, it’s not actually sweat that causes B.O. – it’s the bacteria that breaks down sweat (get the picture?). Now let’s look at how to stop armpit smells.
SO… HOW DO I STOP MY ARMPITS SMELLING?
Simple again! Just follow these tips to stop your armpits smelling:
- Wash. Daily. Take a shower. Properly. None of this ‘the water gets my legs; I don’t need to focus on actually washing them’ – you animal…
- Spray. Wear a long-lasting antiperspirant from LYNX – it’ll keep you covered for 48 hours. Apply it at night and never wake up in cold sweat again.
- Change. A change of clothes is bound to get you feeling right if you’ve just worked up a sweat. Just remember to wash the dirty ones when you get home – before they start smelling like a supermarket cheese counter. Not nice.
- Go organic. Man-made fabrics can make body odour worse as they reduce airflow. Even a giant, cloth potato sack with arm and leg holes count as organic-fabric clothing. Give it a go some time.
- Stay loose. Tight clothes reduce airflow, heat your body, and make you sweat more. Try and start a kilt-wearing trend. Underwear advised, but optional.
Want to know how to stop underarms sweating? You can’t. Sweating is a normal bodily function and one everyone has to live with. Trying to stop it will result in you overheating or some very strange fashion choices. If you’ve ever asked, “why do my armpits sweat so much” and think you sweat more than average, don’t worry – there are a few things you can do.
HOW TO PREVENT ARMPIT SWEAT
As well as learning how to get rid of armpit smells you can also take action to prevent your armpits for sweating or smelling so much:
- Cut back on the caffeine. Caffeine can cause an increase in adrenaline which leads to more sweating. Whether you’re into espresso or energy drinks – maybe give them a miss for a while.
- Don’t be salty. Your body will use sweat to try and get rid of excess sodium.
- Stay active. Excess weight causes you to sweat more.
- Press pause on the pints. Alcohol can also lead to an increase in sweat. Sorry, lads. Anyone for a mocktail, instead? Perhaps? No? Alright then.
- Hold off on the curries. Spicy foods raise your body temperature and lead to sweating too. Lower the spice and go for a Korma or make sure you’re wearing a decent antiperspirant before ordering that takeaway.
Read our other tips for dealing with excessive sweating if it’s not just your armpits that have this problem.
And that’s it sorted. Stopping your armpits smelling isn’t difficult – you just need to remember the basics.