Long-distance relationship tips
Some of the best things in life need distance.
Scoring a goal from the halfway line is a screamer – scoring right in front of the goal is a tap-in.
Driving cross-country is a road trip – driving around the corner means you won’t even get to the chorus of that new Dua Lipa banger.
Catching a chocolate in your mouth that’s been thrown across the room is a skill – shovelling them into your mouth from point-blank might look like a cry for help…
Here’s our long-distance relationship advice and how to make sure that you’re not just surviving a long-distance relationship – but thriving in one.
THINGS TO DO IN A LONG-DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP
You read that right: things to DO. Although you’re not side-by-side walking into college together, you can still be a part of each other’s day:
- Make time for face time. Get your significant other on video call as you walk into college / work / through the park. Share what you’re thinking, seeing, feeling, doing, all while looking into their eyes (and in front of you – watch out for that lamppost).
- Talk to each other. Communication, communication, communication. Repeat it. If you’re in a long-distance relationship, texts are crucial but don’t rely on them all the time to say everything you want to say – it’s so easy for a text to be misunderstood.
- Get creative. Even with the above, the long-distance text is a necessary staple for when you’re pressed for time or stuck in the library. The good news is, you can still be creative with it. Make (or steal) memes for your long-distance relationship messages to demonstrate that you can still be funny several hundred miles away.
Get on Zoom and challenge each other to a fun dinner cook-off or do a 1v1 on Shipment.
- Don’t limit your communication options. What would you guys do if you were actually in the room together? Apart from the obvious, you’ll probably get a takeout, watch a movie, or play some video games. Guess what, nothing is stopping you (except, a poor Internet connection) from doing these things together online right now! Get on Zoom and challenge each other to a fun dinner cook-off or do a 1v1 on Shipment.
- Celebrate the milestones! This is one of the best romantic ideas for a long-distance relationship. Bonus points if you’ve been listening, because if they’ve mentioned a place they like or something they like to do which is local to them, have a look online to see if you can get something to be delivered. These little touches are when it becomes less about surviving a long-distance relationship and more about really making the most of it.
Things to do in a long-distance relationship don’t have to be lacking in imagination. Making long-distance work is about keeping it real and keeping it fun. Go forth and thrive with these long-distance relationship ideas in your back pocket.